Reviews

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Gi Review: Tatami Fightwear Estilo 5.0 Premier BJJ Gi - Navy

Tatami Estilo 5.0

Opening: Here is my review on Tatami's latest incarnation of the Estilo line. This is one of the more affordable "premium" Gis on the market coming in at about $159.00 on most online retail stores. This particular Gi was purchased here at BJJ Warehouse .


I have no affiliation with Tatami Fightwear, nor am I being financially compensated for this review. All thoughts expressed are my true and honest opinion.

Factory Specs:

- 550GSM Pearl Weave Jacket
- 12oz Canvas Pants
- Embroidered Tatami Logos
- Embroidered Estilo Logos
- Inside Sublimated Neck Lining
- Woven Tape Lining Cuffs and Base Of Jacket
- New Unique Y-Jacket Vents
- Available in L and XL Sizes

Initial Impressions: The Gi arrived packed tight in a high quality bag. I have yet to be able to replicate the fold job they did to cram this Gi in to the packaging. I was very impressed with this GI out of the bag. The stitching is very nicely done. Tatami has done a great job of quality control on this Gi's craftsmanship. No loose thread or popped stitches throughout the top and pants. I do remember being surprised at how stiff the top was and wondering how it would feel after a few washes.

My Stats: I'm 6ft tall and I weigh 227lbs with a 37" waist. Finding a Gi to fit right is hard because I have a larger athletic frame with wide shoulders and big quads, but I am not a super tall guy. An A3 will fit me in length but usually won't close all the way since my back some what wide. So I usually go for an A4 and try to shrink it down.


Gi Stats: Before/ After 3 washes
Top
A-Wingspan: 70"/ 67.5"
B-Length 34.6"/ 33.5"
C-Width 25.6"/ 25"
Pants
D-length: 41.75"/ 40.25"
E-Width : 26.3"/ 24"



So after three washes and being hung dry each time, this Gi really did not shrink as much as I had hoped. The arm length is good but the length from collar to skirt was not as much as I was aiming for.

Fit and Feel: While the Gi is less stiff after washing, it is still quite firm, almost like a starched shirt. It does however soften up when rolling as I sweat up a storm. This Gi is 550gsm and it feels like donning a piece of armor, not a heavy as a double weave Judo Gi like I am accustomed to but much heavier than my other BJJ Gis. The skirt is too long for me due to my body type but I really don't mind that since I come from a Judo background. Plus the longer skirt is harder for people to pull out of my belt to use against me!

The pants shrank quite a bit and are fairly tight on me in the thighs. This is not the Gi's fault, I have a squatting addiction. They are heavy and very soft while feeling extremely durable. The knee padding and stitching run almost all the way to the ankle which is quite nice and should help to prevent early wear.

                                                                       The Jacket
Tatami Estilo 5.0 A-4
After 3 washes
There is some slight color fading but not bad. I did not "set" the color with vinegar or baking soda during the 1st few washes. (The flash actually makes it look more faded than it really is)

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Soft satin shoulder lining

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Cool Graphics by Mr. Phillip Leitz (Google search him for some great Sketches)

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Directions are conveniently placed inside the Gi
This Gi has very smooth seam tape that is well sewn with no loose or rough edges.

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
The shoulder embroidery is outstanding
The collar is firm and thick with 5 rows of contrast stitching. There is no cheap patches anywhere on the Estilo 5.0

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Upper back embroidery
Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Skirt embroidery. You can see the 4 rows of re-enforcement stitching
Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Y- shaped vent
I'm not too sure what makes the Y-shaped vent so special, but the white piping accent looks great with the contrast stitching throughout the Gi.

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Y-vent inside the jacket
This jacket is well re-enforced at the stress points using another layer of cloth and double stitching.

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy
Armpit re-enforcement inside Gi
You can see how heavy the triple stitching is that runs on the underside of the arm and across the chest. (Once again the flash actually makes it look more faded than it really is)

                                                             The Pants
Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy pants
Same quality embroidery as the jacket
The 12oz cotton pants are heavy duty and seem like they are built to last. Some signs of wear on the knees, but its only in color. The fabric itself has no deterioration.

Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy pants
Great drawstring system, keeps tied tight during rolls
Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy pants
Pearl weave gusset crotch
Tatami Estilo 5.0 Navy pants
Soft seam tape inside leg cuff
You can see the skirt is a little long
I personally prefer a Gi to be a little baggy over being a little small
Sleeve length is good
Lets Roll: I first wore this when I was visiting San Diego at Team Nogueria's Gym. It was very hot that day and this Gi reminded me of that fact every second. It did have its advantages though. While every one was in their light summer Gis I was in this beast breaking grips like crazy. The stiffness of the material and the thickness of the collar were great. Like I mentioned previously it eventually softens up as you train. Though the pants are tight on me in the legs,  I could still move around just fine when playing guard. The lining in the shoulders and upper back is soft quite nice when you don't wear a shirt or rashguard underneath. The openings are fairly large on the sleeves but that has proven useful when going for Sode guruma jime. On the flip side of that guys that like to use spider guard also like me wearing this Gi. Ahh such is Grappling I guess.

Final Thoughts: This is a great quality Gi at full price, and when on sale its quite a steal. I think this Gi will last a very long time even with heavy use. I would pay attention to the sizing chart and to my before and after comparisons before you buy. Tatami Fightwear has a great reputation for quality products and this is no different. I wholeheartedly recommend this Gi.




1 comment:

  1. hey , where is the before and after wash shots of you wearing it

    ReplyDelete