Reviews

Friday, January 8, 2016

Gi Review: Storm Kimonos Typhoon

Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Straight out of the bag
Opening: This review is on the older model Storm Typhoon. Why are you reviewing an older model Gi you might ask. Well as of right now Storm is selling off their older line of Gis for ridiculously cheap prices. They are selling F-lites (comes with 2 jackets and 1 pair of pants) for $69.99. Also the Supreme, the Trooper, the Typhoon, the 96, and the Commander (female) for $49.99 each! I have no idea how long it will last but when they are sold out that is it. Grab them here if you are interested Storm Clearance . Storm has been around for a long time and have sponsored some of BJJ biggest names. Besides if they are good enough for the 27x world champion @Renato_laranja ,who am I to argue. Lol.

I have no affiliation with Storm Kimonos, nor am I being financially compensated for this review. All thoughts expressed are my true and honest opinion.

Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Gi bag
Initial Impressions: Right out of the bag I noticed that this Gi has a good heft to it. It is not a super heavy Gi but it feels real solid. Checking over the pants they feel really heavy duty. Probably the most heavy pants I own, this is a good thing imo unless of course you like ultra light Gis. The Jacket is very soft and flexible despite its weight. This Gi is very high quality with quite a few nice features hidden inside. The weave is very interesting, Storm's website describes it as golden jacquard weave fabric. It bears resemblance to single weaves but when I held it up to my single weave Judo Gi, it is indeed not the same. There is more intertwining/ interlocking stitching on the Storm which I would assume makes it much stronger/ more durable. This Gi has nice seam taping and stitching with no real flaws I could see.

Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Jacket and pants before use/ washing
My Stats: I'm 6ft tall and I weigh 227lbs with a 37" waist. Finding a Gi to fit right is hard because I have a larger athletic frame with wide shoulders and big quads, but I am not a super tall guy. An A3 will fit me in length but usually won't close all the way since my back some what wide. So I usually go for an A4 and try to shrink it down.

Factory Stats:
  • Jacket is made of Ultra Comfortable 550 gsm, Golden Jacquard Weave Fabric.
  • 100% Cotton Pant is made of exclusive 380 gsm Storm 100% Cotton Twill with reinforced knee area
  • Ultra Resistant and Breathable Materials, Zero Warp collar, Hidden Mouthguard Pocket.
  • Anti-Microbial Treatment Steamed and Highly Pre-Shrunk Anti-Odor.

Gi Stats: Before/ After 3 washes
Top
A-Wingspan: 73.25"/ 72.75"
B-Length 32"/ 32"
C-Width 25"/ 25"
Pants
D-length: 40"/ 40"
E-Width : 24"/ 23.65"




Fit/ Feel and Rolling: There was virtually no shrinkage on this Gi. Storm's size chart is very accurate and reliable, at least with this model. I really like how this Gi fits me. Storm's pre-shrinking, fortunately for me was just right. I think it is cut for people with a wider frame, this does not mean other body types won't like it as well, but this really forms to my body type. Here is a review of the Gi by Master Reviewer and BJJ black belt Meerkatsu's Review . I would like to mention that his Gi and mine have a few differences such as my pants don't have a huge patch on the leg and there is also one less belt loop. They may have also changed the cut of the shoulders/ sleeves (see Meerkatsu's review) as mine did not slope downward at an angle when laid flat.

I had no problems with the Gi riding up or the collar opening on me when rolling. The softness of this Gi makes you work for your grip breaks but in the end it only makes you better. The collar is firm but not too thick and actually has 6 rows of stitching. The seam taping on this Gi is wide and smooth everywhere on the Gi.

The pants are comfortable and did not sag or ride up. They use an old school flat cotton tie for a drawstring which is old school but it gets the job done. I was initially worried about that but it turned out fine. My only gripe about the pants is the small knee patch, other than that they are thick, soft, and very nice.

Some other differences from my Typhoon and the one Meerkatsu reviewed is extra rows of stitching. I believe from the pictures his collar only had 4 rows of stitching where as mine has six. Also the red seam tape on the sleeves and legs are re-enforced with 4 rows of stitching vs 2. I think Storm must have improved upon the early runs of this model and I am glad they did.

Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Collar comparison

Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Laid flat w/ high quality thick embroidered patches (why not just embroider the logo on the Gi?)
Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Wide seam tape and Rip Stop running up the inside of the lapel
Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Re-enforced in stress areas. Two layers of Gi material near commonly grabbed upper lapel, and a Rip Stop pocket.
Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Wide red seam tape with Storm branded 2nd layer seam tape

Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Rubber logo
Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Pants laid flat
Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Only 2 belt loops, but it gets the job done
Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Re-enforced hip area with Rip Stop pocket
Storm Kimonos Typhoon
Back of pant leg with embroidered Storm lightning bolt and nice red seam tape

Storm Kimonos Typhoon
I wished the knee pad was 2-3 times longer
Rear view
Wingspan
Side sleeve length
Typhoon!

Final thoughts: If you have to have the latest model Gi on the market then this might not be for you. But if you like the thought of having a top quality Gi for a fraction of the price this is it. The fit might not be for everyone but it certainly works for me. If you want a thick yet soft Gi that seems like it is built to last (and you just need a pocket in your pants and your jacket) pick this guy (or another model) up for $49.99 + shipping. Its hard to go wrong at that price. Happy rolling!

1 comment:

  1. https://minotaurfightstore.co.uk/product-category/brand/storm-kimonos/

    ReplyDelete